A quick recap of why this room was up for a makeover in the first place:

August 2007 - We move into this house and Will and Owen share a bedroom - just as they always have.

December 2008 - William turns 7 and begins asking for his own bedroom. Begging would probably be a more accurate description. (Keep in mind, we're a family of five living in a three bedroom house. There isn't a bedroom for him to move into.)

Summer 2009 - We remodel our rarely used (that's an understatement) Dining Room and it becomes the new Playroom for the kids and all of their toys.

Autumn 2009 - We begin to see the light (and are tiring from the 8 months of begging) - the benefits of William having his own room begin to outweigh the boys sharing a room any longer.

Over the course of a day, our Dining Room-turned-Playroom now becomes our homes 4th bedroom.


And that about sums it up.


Owen had a rough time sleeping alone in a bedroom without his big brother, so I did all that I could to show him how exciting it could be to have a place to call his own.

His very own.


For Christmas, the boys got to pick out new bedding that would serve as the jumping off point for the theme of their individual rooms. It was no surprise that Owen's choice was all about cars, planes, trucks and trains...


By sheer luck, the colors in the quilt perfectly matched the blues that I had painted on the walls two years prior. That saved me lots of time and money! I decided that we should use our energy elsewhere and build Owen a custom storage system in his closet that would house all of his...stuff.

Owen is a builder. A Do-er. An inventor.

As a result, he has lots of stuff...


Once his closet was done, I moved on to finishing the room.

I love how it turned out. I was able to re-use things that had previously been in the boys' room, but, to keep it exciting, switch it all up to look new and fresh for Owen.



Welcome to

Owen's "New" Room
...

Owen's "fort bed", with peek holes so that he can spy and see who's coming.

One of these days I will get around to painting words in between the ladder steps that say:

What's

The Secret

Password?







Vintage airline magazine advertisements from the 1940's...








Another vintage magazine advertisement for Beech Aircraft...





My Dad's old school books...








Owen made a paper chain for Christmas that he couldn't bear to throw away...

It is the perfect decoration for inside his fort.






A spot for all of his art...





Will always tries to tell me "Function over form!"

But I disagree. I think I have managed to make Owen's room function perfectly for him, while still satisfying my need to have a nice, pretty (we won't tell Owen that I just said that!) organized and cozy bedroom.


Even though it's Owen's room, we all love to be in there.

We play board games together. We read books. Owen is always building a new track...or two.

I think that's the best compliment I could hope for...

watching my family enjoy the rooms that I create.

It makes all of the time and effort that it takes to make it happen, more than worth it!




P.S. I am posting this at:

Metamorphosis Monday, DIY Day, Make Your Monday, Make It For Monday,

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online